Friday, December 19, 2014

Merry Christmas 2014

Stephenson Family Christmas Letter 2014


Some years its just easier to talk about the kids but I’ll sum up Eric and I very quickly. Eric and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this year and Eric started his own law firm after over ten years with his previous employer. Its called Stephenson Law Firm. Boring but fitting. You can find him at www.utahjustice.com. He also cleaned out the garage, yay! As for me, I am teaching my usual fitness classes and added part time P.E. teacher to the list.  Its been so fun to teach them, most days.  


I had a chance to go to Reagan's cheer comp last January in Vegas and to California in June with Madison for Dance. I love being there for my girls and to experience it all front and center.  Plus, I discovered I love roller-coasters! I've been missing out my whole life. While I have had to cut back my biking events, I did manage to complete the Little Red  50 mile bike ride in Logan.  Still young at heart, I flew to Phoenix to meet Jeanne and go see Toad the Wet Sprocket and Counting Crow. Cause I can, that's why.


We also had the best family trip with our great friends, the Johnson family this past July. There was one week in the summer all my girls were not busy. We stayed at a cabin in Island Park. The trip started off a little rough with their son needing stitches but after that it was good. He toughed it out. Our days were packed with a trip to a ghost town, four wheeling, taking a nice float down the river, driving through Yellowstone and totally relaxing. I loved how quiet it was. No TV, no traffic, and pretty much no cell service. Lots of time to talk face to face with family. One day the girls will appreciate it.  


Please bear with me as I list what my kids are up to. This is the best way for me to journal what our family has been up to every year. My memory gets worse with time and I am so grateful to have reminders. Its not meant to be a brag sheet, although I am so very proud because they have prayed and worked hard for everything they do. It’s also been a big year for my girls to  learn what it is to rise above with grace and humility. There have been disappointments along the way but I’ve chosen to highlight the best of 2014.  


Reagan-
Growing up too fast. She is now 17, driving, and working as a coach at Tooele Gymnastics Academy. I barely see her home and she’s usually asleep when she is here. Reagan is also on the Varsity Cheer Team for Stansbury High School. She starts each day with 6 a.m. practice or early morning seminary. She works so hard it amazes us. I don’t know how she does it. Now that she is a cheerleader, I’ve been to more football games in the past couple months than in my entire life. I still don’t understand most of it though. Reagan, like me, wouldn’t mind moving somewhere warm. And of course there is the new haircut. It totally fits her personality and also she doesn't have to do her hair for cheer. Smart.  


Nicole-
This beautiful 15 yr old girl is still writing and creating some beautiful artwork. She also made the High School Concert Choir. I love to hear her play piano and sing. She brings such joy to our home. Nicole had a chance to fly to Boise for a week to stay with our family friends; yes those same ones we went on vacation with. See, they have a 5 yr old daughter Tess, that got quite attached to Nicole and we couldn’t say no. Nicole will be in Drivers Ed in January and I’ll have another driver on my hands. I have a feeling she will be easier than Reagan. If not, get off the sidewalks. Just kidding.


Madison-
She’s back to school full time and has added choir and drama class. Dance is still her passion though. She was able to go to California this year with her Studio and dance at Disney Land,  take classes at  LA’s “The Edge,” and at the Anaheim Ballet. Two weeks later she attended BYU Ballet dance intensives for almost two weeks with a few friends. They stayed in the dorms, ate, slept, and trained, all to prepare her for the schedule she has now. Madison is the Arabian soloist for the Dance Centre’s Nutcracker, a Page for the Ballet West Nutcracker, and 1 of 104 dancers who made the live television production for The Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Concert. On any given Saturday, she is at practice from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. and then she drops into bed. That is an average of about 20 hrs a week of just dance. Somewhere in there she squeezes in her church calling and homework. She loves dance so much, I’m pretty sure she wouldn’t have it any other way.  


Ava-
We gave in, we let the soccer monster loose. Ava started competition soccer this year. After a few years of being on the recreation teams, she was ready. And she loves to play goalie. She’s great at it. This little 4ft girl, can jump and block with the best of them. Every weekend was a different city, mostly close by. Her best friend Josh can often be found at our house, they of course both like to play soccer. She doesn’t want to get contacts, she likes her glasses. Her haircut is here to stay because she wouldn’t have it any other way and we are all just fine with that. Ava likes to go hiking, she is so happy she is tall enough to go down a water slide, and loves go running with me. I have a hard time keeping up with her.  


Its been a year of struggle, or as we like to see it “ room for growth.” We may not know what the future holds but what a blessing it is that we are so thankful for prayers that are answered, for somewhat good health, and a roof over our heads.  


Have a very Merry Christmas with your friends and family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment